Big Bear, CA, January 30th, 2016 – A winter storm is on the horizon for this weekend with predictions of another 3-8 inches in the Big Bear Valley, are you prepared? Follow these simple and helpful tips to get ready.
- Stock up on essential food items for the next four to five days. Some great foods to include are Canned Tuna, Potatoes, Peanut Butter, Soup, Tortillas, Honey, Fruits, Meats, and Veggies.
- Also Stock up on bottled water just in case of a pipe burst, freeze, or leak.
- Have firewood and flashlights on hand in case of a power outage.
- Leave your phone plugged into the wall, especially if there’s a possibility of power outages. That way, if the power goes out, you’re guaranteed to have maximum battery life.
If you must travel:
- Abide by all special rules and restrictions put in place by authorities. If you are told to stay off the roads unless there’s an emergency, do what they say.
- If you must drive, put on your chains and wear a seat belt. Be sure to leave extra distance between your car and the vehicles around you. It takes nine times longer to stop on an icy road than a dry one.
- Load up your car with at least one blanket, water, snacks, a flashlight and make sure your gas tank is full before you venture out. If you get stranded or even stuck in gridlock, both could be very important.