Big Bear, CA, December 26, 2014 – As you go about your post-holiday clean up, keep in mind that you should never burn wrapping paper or your Christmas tree in the fireplace. The rapid burning and excessive heat can damage the firebox and chimney creating a serious fire hazard. Discard your tree soon after Christmas before it becomes a tinder dry fire hazard and don’t put it in your garage or lean it against your house.
Burglars know that many households have new, and expensive items in their homes following Christmas. Don’t advertise what you’ve received by leaving boxes that identify your new gifts outside by your garbage cans. Break down the boxes and keep them inside until the evening before your regular garbage pick-up. It’s also a good time to update, or create, your home inventory by taking pictures or video of everything in your home. If you are burglarized, insurance claims are much easier to file if you have a detailed inventory.
Keep stockings as well as Christmas left-overs out of your pet’s reach. Most people know that chocolate can be toxic to your pets, but onions, garlic, grapes, raisins, and candy, especially sugar-free candy, can also be toxic to your furry friends. And remember that turkey and chicken bones can cause internal damage to your pet. Also, holiday plants such as poinsettias, mistletoe, holly, and lilies are very dangerous if your pet ingests them.
Enjoy your holiday festivities responsibly. And if you do plan on having some holiday cheer, stay home, call a cab, or designate a sober driver.