A mountain tradition for over 50 years will be closing on Easter Sunday. That tradition is the popular spring field trip to see the acres of beautiful daffodils in Running Springs, which Gene and Dale Bauer have offered to the public, free of charge, since 1957. The fields of many varieties of blooming daffodils survived the Slide Fire of 2007 because, as Gene tells KBHR, the daffodil bulbs are below the ground in October. To access the sweeping acres of daffodils from Big Bear, take Highway 18 to Running Springs, then continue about three miles down Highway 330 until you reach the upper passing lane. At Fredalba Road (across from Live Oak Drive), turn left and continue on Fredalba to St. Anne’s Catholic Church, where parking is available. The Bauers welcome guests daily through April 12, from 10am to 6pm. This year will be the last, says Gene, because he and wife Dale, now in their 80s are, in his words, “physically worn down.” Though they don’t plan to keep up the acres of daffodils, they will continue to maintain those around their home on the hillside off Highway 330. The Bauers do not accept donations but, Gene adds, “We do encourage people to do their own gardens.” For those unable to make the trip on their own, Jim Lyon offers trips to the daffodil gardens from Big Bear. For more information on trips scheduled for April 5, 8, 11 and 12, offered at $20 per person, call 866-3523.
After 50 Years As a Local Spring Tradition, Daffodil Gardens to Close on Easter Sunday
Posted on 04/03/2009 Written by