Big Bear, Ca, November 24, 2010, 4:00pm - With holiday shopping season approaching, the San Bernardino County Sheriffs Department would like to remind you of some holiday shopping safety tips. The holiday season is a time when busy people can become careless and vulnerable to theft and other holiday crime. The following tips from the Sheriffs department can help you be more careful, prepared and aware during the holiday season.
- Shop during daylight hours whenever possible.
- Dress casually and comfortably
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry
- Do not carry a purse or wallet, if possible
- Even though you are rushed and thinking about a thousand things, stay alert to your surroundings
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash
- Pay for purchases with check or credit when possible
- Keep cash in your front pocket
- Notify your credit card company immediately if your credit card is lost, stolen, or misused, and keep a record of all credit card numbers in a safe place at home.
- Beware of strangers approaching you for any reason. At this time of year, “con-artists” may try various methods of distracting you with the intention of taking your money or belongings.
“Shopping during the holiday season can present unique danger.” Said San Bernardino County Sheriff Rod Hoops, “Taking a few preventative measures can help keep your holiday season joyous.”