Big Bear City, CA, December 23, 2013 – The joy of the winter holidays can be an extra incentive to keep your loved ones out of harm’s way. In that spirit, the Fire Department is offering some friendly reminders on staying safe in a house full of guests:
- Have smokers smoke outside and keep their smoking materials with them so young children do not touch them. Wet cigarette butts with water before discarding.
- Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
- Keep children and pets away from lit candles, and keep lit candles away from decorations and other things that can burn.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stove top.
- Test your smoke alarms and tell guests about your home fire escape plan.
- Remember some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
- Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.
- Keep decorations away from windows and doors.
- Choose decorations that are flame resistant.